Build a blanket fort
Spend some quality time in the Great Indoors.
Building a den with your child is a sacred act. This little space could be a cinema, or a private library. It could be a spaceship destined for another planet. It could be a time machine to a bygone era. What they make of this space is up to them, and that’s precisely what makes it so utterly, utterly special.
- Help your child to lay a blanket or sheet on the floor, and to position the chairs opposite each other.
- Drape the duvet over the chairs to create a roof, and pad-out the walls with plenty of cushions and pillows – paying particular attention to the corners and back wall.
- Weave string in between the top of the chairs, creating support for the roof. For extra snazziness, attach some bunting with pegs.
- If your child would like to personalise the den, encourage them to fill it with their favourite home comforts, or to invent a story about its purpose. There are no rules here.
- 30 mins - 1 hour
- Pillows, blankets/sheets, sofa cushions, duvet or sleeping bag, 4 chairs, safety pins/rubber bands/pegs, string, torch
- Optional extras: Fairy lights, snacks, ‘Keep Out’ sign to ward off intruders